My 2 and half year old son hasnt pooped in
Not a cause for concern
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.
I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that for a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool once in several days. Alternatively the child may pass stool several times a day or even after each feed and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned.
Incidentally, constipation in children has become a very frequently encountered problem these days. The primary reason for the same is lack of adequate play and/or the lack of adequate amounts of fiber containing foods in diet.
You need to give a fibre rich diet. Wheat, corn, and rice XXXXXXX are high in insoluble fiber, which helps prevent constipation. XXXXXXX can be sprinkled into his favorite foods, from hot cereal and pancakes to muffins and cookies. Many popular high-fiber cereals and bars are also packed with XXXXXXX Beans really are the magical fruit. Isabgol (psyllium husk) or senna can also be given as fiber supplements.
Fiber rich food items include:
* Apples, pears, parsnip, berries, raspberries, kumquats, guavas, squash, oranges, passion fuit, avocado, blackberries, pomogranate, currants, persimmons, kiwi fruits, figs, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apricots, strawberries, tangerines, papaya, mangoes, pineapple, plums, litchi, grapes, watermelon
* Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, brussels sprout, carrots, leafy vegetables and spinach, amaranth, artichokes, green peas, collard greens, XXXXXXX sweet potato, okra, fennel, eggplant/brinjal, sweetcorn, beets, turnip, asparagus, onions
* Legumes, beans, lentils, chickpeas, celery, soybean, navy beans, cranberry beans, french beans
* Whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, millets and oats, squash and pumpkin seeds, seasame seeds, dried coconut, almonds,
* Flax seeds, chia seeds, corn XXXXXXX
Let me know if I could help further.
You can wait. Apply glycerine suppository if needed
Since the child does not look like he is in discomfort you can wait. In case you feel needed, application of glycerine suppository (to be inserted into the anus and you need to hold the lips of the anus closed for a few minutes) will help the child to pass stool.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever