Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
124 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

My 18 year old daughter has suffered for the last

Answered by
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 3698 Questions

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: My 18 year old daughter has suffered for the last 8 years with collapses, usually after sport. We have been back and forth to GOSH seen cardiac specialists, had EEG's and found no reason for her to collapse, yet she does. She does not faint. She does not lose consciousness and when she collapses she loses muscle tone and just flops. Our local GP referred us to a paediatrician who referred us to GOSH. We have had a period of no collapses for 18 months, and then all of a sudden they have started again. She is a keen swimmer but unfortunately due to her recent episodes the swimming pool operators have said that she cannot swim until she has seen a consultant that is happy for her to swim. What sort of consultant should we take her to?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A Neurologist should be appropriate as a consultant.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

Since the cardiac problems are cleared out and seizures are excluded, in my opinion, neurologically mediated presyncope should be considered.

Besides the tests done before, a tilt table test should be done.

I think in such a case, a Neurologist as a consultant should be the one who can evaluate correctly if your daughter's condition allows her to swim or not.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on