Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Muscle cramps and body pain, deteriorated strength, indentation on left calf. Advise and treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Hi! I am having really bad muscle cramps & pain like I've pulled muscles, all over my body whenever I do ordinary everyday activities, like reaching to get something off top shelf of cupboard... Opening doors etc... etc...
My strength has also deteriorated so badly, that I am now unable to do many ordinary everyday things like fill & hold a full kettle for more than a couple of seconds.... Make a bed... etc... etc...
Even turning over in bed, I am pulling muscles in my neck & shoulders....
I am asking for some advice for the first time, as I am getting rather concerned now, as I have just noticed a large indentation on the outer side of my left calf, halfway between ankle & knee... As I write this, the top of my thigh has just started aching very painfully, radiating down towards my knee, back & front...
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

Your description is about muscle pain and cramps along with fatigue. This generally happens with stretches or over use. In your case if this regular even after daily activities without stretching or over use. This is not common and is concerning. It needs to be investigated by a physician.

The possible reasons are:
1) Infections like viral
2) Drug induced like statins and some high BP medicines
3) Fibromyalgia
4) Chronic Fatigue

Potassium depletion can cause muscle pains which is again a side effect of ACE inhibitor group of BP medicines like Ramipril.

There are other rarer possibilities which are beyond the scope of discussion here.

You may be ordered some investigation initially by your GP. Since the history is short it is easily treatable during these days. Hence do not delay.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor