Mucus while passing stool. On hyoscyamine for IBS. What could be causing this?

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have ibs and have just started taking hyoscyamineER. I have noticed recently that when I have a bowel movement there is mucus coming out of my anus. is this something I should be concerned about
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need a few more test reports. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query. If I were your doctor, I would advise you for a routine test of the stool for any ova and cyst especially if you have got a habit of eating out. The treatment would depend on the report. Mucus while passing stool could as such be an association in the irritable bowel syndrome. I would consider hyoscyamineER less likely to be responsible for this which is usually prescribed for decreasing the intestinal motility. On the dietary front, I would advise you for a high roughage diet with enough of liquids.Also I would like to add a probiotic routinely for you. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. If you have got any further doubt, please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for choosing health care magic for clearing doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.