Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Mucosal thickening of sinuses, cysts, deviated septum. Cure with surgery or medication ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
Dear Doctor, I took X XXXXXXX & CT scan and the report says Mucosal thickening in all the paranasal sinuses.Mucosal retention cysts are noted in both maxillary sinuses.Both infundibuli are occluded by mucosal secretions.No evidence of osteitis,bone sclerosis or bone erosion is visualized.The nasal septum is deviated towards right.Both middle nasal turbinatesappear normal.Both inferior nasal turbinates appear hypertrophied.The visualized nasopharynx is normal.
Impression : Pansinusitis,Bilateral Maxillary mucosal retention cysts.
Pl guide whteher i need to go for a surgery or can it be cured by medication? Thanks XXXXXXX
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 18 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

You are suffering from( Your complete diagnosis is) Pansinusitis with bilateral maxillary retention cyst with deviated nasal septum with bilateral inferior turbinate hypertrophy.

There are 4 pairs of sinuses like maxillary, frontal, sphenoid, ethmoid. The purpose of there sinuses is to provide aeration, mucocillary clearance, production of mucus etc.

Retention cysts usually develop in the maxillary sinuses, because it is largest of all. These are benign cysts, which usually develops due to allergic reaction.

Treatment plan....

1- Surgery is the only mode of treatment in your condition drugs will not help.
2- Name of surgery is FESS( functional endoscopic sinus surgery). It is an endoscopic procedure, means no incision from outside.
3- Consult an ENT surgeon immediately, in the mean time put some xylometazoline nose drops daily, it will help in reducing your symptoms.

Hope it will definitely help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor