Movable egg shaped lump in neck above collar bone. Singing. Had breast cancer earlier. Advise?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi yesterday I noticed a kind of firm but smooth movable egg shaped lump in my neck, just right of center above my collar bone. I had been having a need to clear my throat a lot for the past few months and hoarseness on and off, but I've been singing a lot, so I didn't think much of it until the lump...I felt it first, then saw it when I swallowed. It's about ping pong ball sized. I had breast cancer five years ago, so I'm kind of having a heart attack about this, and of course, my husband started a new job on Monday, and his insurance doesn't kick in until the first of November. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Right thyroid swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam
I have gone through your query, it suggests that you maybe suffering from the thyroid swelling.
Why it is right thyroid swelling?
Location-just right above the collar bone
Sex- Female
Felt when you swallowed
Hoarseness

To rule out the other disease and to reach the near diagnosis you may go for

USG neck with color Doppler
FNAC of the neck swelling
T3,T4,TSH

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 23 hours later
Thanks for your answer, but what would cause my thyroid to swell?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
FNAC of Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam

Thank you for your follow up query

. To reach the near cause, you may go for the FNAC of thyroid swelling.

Wish you good health

Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 40 hours later
Hi, I had the following done: CA 27.29; CBC W/DIFF,W/PLT; CEA; COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL; T3 UPTAKE; T4 (THYROXINE); T7 INDEX     
10/2/2013     10/3/2013     TSH, HIGH SENSITIVITY     They all came out normal...I also had an ultrasound...waiting for the results. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Decide after USG report

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for follow up query,

If your above mentioned report are normal then better to wait for USG report for further management and diagnosis.

But these normal reports do not exclude the thyroid swelling.

Wish you good health