Mouth is very dry. No ulcers in mouth. What might be the cause?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Every morning when I wake up, my mouth is absolutely dry. Also, if I eat anything which is even very slightly spicy, I cannot handle it and have to drink lots of water. I do not see any visible ulcers on my tongue. I generally drink lots of water throughout the day.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: You might be breathing from mouth... Detailed Answer: Hi, Dry mouth as you wake up is possible if you been breathing from mouth during the whole night. Those who snore, have obstructed nasal passage or suffer from nasal disease which leads to mouth breathing can lead to excessively dry mouth especially when they wake up from sleep. I suggest you to consult an ENT surgeon and look out for obstructive nasal passages first. If needed, the doctor shall prescribe decongestants and other measure to relieve nasal passages at night. That should solve your problem. In the interim continue drinking fluids. If you are over weight, start exercise with an aim to shed out extra weight. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards