Mole on leg, looks like a Spitz Nevus, dried up

Dr. Puneet Oberoi

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I noticed a mole on my leg last night that seems to have just appeared. After looking online it looks like a Spitz Nevus (slightly darker skin color, raised and noduler) but when I checked it this morning it's kind of dried up and seems to be even coming off a bit at the edge. Is this something to worry about? Or even a mole at all? If it is a cause for concern should I go into urgent care or just get into a dermatologist sometime next week?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 47 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query.

Well to be able to answer your query in detail, i would like to know a few more details about you:

1) Age?

2) Gender?

3) I would like to know if this is the first time it happened?

4) Are there any other similar moles in any part of your body?

5) Do you have any other medical problem?

6) Are you on any medications ?

7) Is the lesion itchy ?

8) Are there any color changes you have noticed around the area of skin ?

Please do provide me the following details, So that i will be able to guide you better regarding your problem .
Thank you
Dr Puneet Oberoi
Follow up: Dr. Puneet Oberoi 1 hour later
1) Age? 28

2) Gender? Female

3) I would like to know if this is the first time it happened? Yes, this is the first time.

4) Are there any other similar moles in any part of your body? No, I have other moles but they’re all mostly flat and brown. Just normal moles.

5) Do you have any other medical problem? I do have psoriasis

6) Are you on any medications? Only birth control pills (Apri)

7) Is the lesion itchy? No, it’s rough and dry but not really itchy.

8) Are there any color changes you have noticed around the area of skin? No, the skin around it all looks normal

Also since I first wrote the top of it has peeled up more and is coming off in one piece almost like a scab. Underneath it just looks kind of bloody but still raised.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 54 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for providing me the answers.

From the history you have given me and that the pattern of the lesion of its rapid appearance, and a peel off pattern yes it can be a Spitz Nevus as a probable diagnosis.

but there are other conditions too we need to look into, that will include

1) Granulomas
2) XXXXXXX nevus
3) Melanoma

I will advice you that you should set up an appointment with an Dermatologist and get it physically examined.

It is not a medical emergency BUT if the lesion is getting itchy or you see a discharge or rapid color change then a sooner visit is advised .

Also please dont touch the lesion with your hands as that can lead to infection .

If you have any other queries on this write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr Puneet Oberoi

Disclaimer: The information on this email and portal is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Nothing on this email and website should be used for treating or diagnosing a medical or health condition. This is not a replacement for Doctor - patient relationship and physical examination by other qualified healthcare provider.