• question-icon

Mole bleeding after being scratched. Noticed light brown color. Is this normal?

Posted on Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi i had my moles checked by a dermatologist 3 month ago and she said they all looked fine. Yesterday however by accident i schrathed one of my moles..of course it started to bleed ..but soon after stopped and i think starting to be ok again..but what i noticed was inside the light brown mole was a small spot (a darker shade)...is this ok for a "normal " mole to have a darker spot..i have read somewhere that color difference could be a sign? but at the same time i had a dermatologist look at it 3 month ago do i really need to go again because of the small spot..can it develop within 3 month? my mole is 4 mm in diameter
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 days later
Moles are basically collection of melanocytes or pigment producing cells. These are of three types
-Junctional where cells are present at junction of epidermis( superficial layer) and dermis( deep skin layer)
-Compound where cells are present at junction as well as dermis
-Dermal where the cells are in dermis

Now as the depth of melanocyte increases the nevi becomes more elevated and skin colored. In your case the nevi must be compound or dermal and hence it imight be darker underneath as compared to its surface color.

The signs of atypical changes in a mole are
A asymmetry ie when one half of mole does not resemble another
B irregular border
C color variegate ie one half may be brown other black
D diameter more than 6 mm
E evolution ie change in color size or elevation or itch, bleed , crusting etc.

In you case none of these are present and hence you need not worry. However to allay your anxiety, you must visit your consultant dermatologist again as when in doubt it is always better to be safe than sorry. Moreover a naked eye clinical examination is always superior than clinical description or images.

Hope that helped. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist