Molar teeth got fractured. Is it necessary to go for implantation after the tooth extraction?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hello Doctor, I have a problem in taking a decision. I have visited a dentist who is a orthodontist. My problem start with 2 root canal molar tooth which have been fractured aand infection has been built up due to various problems. I found out with a X-Ray which was suggested by the dentist.
Basically I had visited to consult to this dentist about going for lingual which costs 0000/- to align my teeth. But due to my problems with molar tooth’s I had to change my decision to go for a extraction of those treated tooth.
So, I got one molar tooth extracted, now after extraction I had been given an option of putting bridge or going for an implant. If I m going for bridge it will cost me 0000/- but I will have to sacrifice my healthy for support to fix the bridge which I m not planning to sacrifice.
Secondly, about implant the name termed as ‘ANKYLOS’ TREATMENT will be done but it would cost 0000/- or 0000/- based on the quality.
Doctor, I want to know if I have to go for lingual in future, then
1)     Do I need to go for implant and why?
2)     Is implant durable and benficial?
3)     Why there is difference in implants which is costing 0000/- and 0000/-.
4)     After extraction, can I go for lingual directly and shift my tooth to a molar position.
5)     And if not what is the reason?

I am depending on your response, please help me in getting the right information as my concern is my budget as these all treatment would cost me 0000/- approx..
Thanking you,                                                                                                                                                                Your’s Sincerely,
                                    XXXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Hello Lohit,
Thanks for writing to us,
First of all, I would like you to know that replacement of a missing molar with an artificial tooth is very important and needs to be done before getting the lingual braces, as our teeth have a tendency to move into an empty space.
This kind of drifting of teeth causes disalignment, which we do not want.

Bridge and implants are two options for restoring your missing tooth, as you are aware a bridge needs support from surrounding teeth whereas an implant does not,
Therefore implants are preferred nowadays.
A variety of implants are availble nowadays and and anterior tooth implants are cheaper than molar implants, kindly ask your dentist about the warranty associated with an implant and opt for the one with a longer warranty.
Dentsply and nobel biocare are two very well known brands for implants, I do not know which one did your dentist advise.
Yes,implants are very durable, just make sure to maintain proper oral hygiene around it and maintain regular follow ups with your dentist.

I will advise you to kindly get the missing molar replaced first,
Followed by lingual braces.
But if budget is bothering you then do not worry, even a bridge is a good option.
90% people opt for bridges and are quite satisfied with it.

If you have any further queries, feel free to write back.
I hope this answer was useful to some extent.
I wish you good health.