Missing periods after stopping contraceptive pill. How to conform menopause stage?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I TAKEN ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS FOR TWO YEARS REGULARLY.NOW I STOPPED IT TWO MONTHS BEFORE AND TILL DATE I DID NOT HAD MY PERIOD. MY AGE IS 48 YRS.HOW IT WILL BE CONFIRMED THAT I ENTERED MENOPAUSE STAGE,IS THERE ANY TEST TO CONFIRM MENOPAUSE OF A WOMEN,SO THAT I CAN GET THE TEST DONE. PLEASE REPLY SOON SO THAT I CAN TAKE ACTION AS PER YOUR EXPERT ADVISE.ONCE MENOPAUSE IS CONFIRMED I CAN HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MY HUSBAND WHO IS 51 YRS OLD.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, I am telling you the symptoms of menopause
1.     Absence of period for 12 months.
2.     Feeling of hot flushes, nervousness, anxiety, irritation.
3.     Vaginal dryness, itching, irregular bleeding and many more.

Secondly, the laboratory test includes a total hormonal profile. It includes Follicular Stimulating Hormone and Luteinizing Hormone, estrogen and progesterone. In menopause the FSH and LH will be increased to compensate the decreased levels of estrogen and progesterone.

From your symptoms and negative pregnancy test, it is expected that you have reached your menopause. But for confirmation, you can do the above mentioned hormonal assay. But before doing the hormonal assay, you have to repeat the pregnancy test and do a Beta HCG level in blood and ultrasound scan of whole abdomen to rule out pregnancy.

For this, you may consult with a gynecologist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering the above mentioned tests.

If the menopause is confirmed, then you can have unprotected sex with your husband.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.