Missing periods after mirena coil fitted. Should I be worried?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I had a Merina coil fitted 6/8 weeks ago have no bleeding since the fitting what could it be
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 39 minutes later

Mirena is a progestogen coil. It contains levonorgestrel and has a failure rate of 0.2% and so I do not doubt the effectiveness of this coil.

Irregular menstrual cycles and intermittent spotting are common in the first 3-6 months and sometimes after a year of using the IUD - periods may completely disappear.

You may be having one of those irregular bleeding cycles with prolonged amenorrhoea; if you were menstruating regularly prior to insertion of the coil, and if all tests were done by your doctor before insertion, you need not worry.

Anyway, you should be getting a periodical check up so long as the coil is in situ apart from checking the threads everyday yourself.

I hope I have clarified your doubt. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
I had a coil fitted before and it was fitted wrong that's why I had to have it replaced with this one a reMove and refit on the same day I feel very bloated and clothes are tight could there be a chance of pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

You did not say when you had your last cycle. If it was right before insertion of the coil, chances of pregnancy are very less.

Even if the insertion of the coil was done on the same day as removal of the previous coil there is no need for worry so long as the insertion is properly done and if you can feel the threads.

Since the insertion was done about 6-8 weeks ago, you cannot experience abdominal enlargement even if you are pregnant, since the pregnancy needs to be at least 12-14 weeks for you to feel it per abdomen. Perhaps, you may be having other problems like putting on a little weight or a gaseous distension of the abdomen.

I suggest that you see your gynecologist for a checkup as you have not had a period so far and a routine checkup is necessary usually after the period or around 6 weeks after insertion of the coil. You can ask for a sonogram to exclude any pregnancy apart from getting blood tests.

I hope this was useful. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to contact.

Shanti. V.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan