Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

163 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Missing periods after intercourse. What is the best method to avoid pregnancy?

Answered by
Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 689 Questions

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Sir,
I am a girl . Me and my boyfriend were having sex since the last 2 months. So I missed the periods since 2 months. I had 5 day dose of cycloreg tablets as well . But during the dosage time only , I got lite release of blood . And 2 days before also when we were having sex , there is a lite release of blood . I am not planning to have a pregnancy right now . What is the best method to avoid pregnancy other than taking an abortion pill ? We are pretty worried . A kind and quick answere woul make us happy . We are actually planning to have one more dose of cycloreg or duphaston or meprate . Please suggest a medicine so that I get period .
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The best method to avoid pregnancy is by using a regular contraceptive method like oral pills or barriers like condoms.

If you do not plan for pregnancy the only way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is using a regular contraception.

Now that you have not had periods for 2 months, I suggest you to take a urine pregnancy test.

If positive then none of the medicines you have mentioned (meprate, duphaston and cycloreg) can cause abortion. They will not induce complete abortion.
The bleeding you had after their intake was due to the effect of hormones contained in them. These pills are NOT FOR abortion.

If you are already positive, then there is no question of avoiding a pregnancy.

DO NOT Take any self medication for abortion. It can be XXXXXXX can cause serious bleeding and incomplete abortion.

So you need to visit a gynecologist.
Get your urine test done.

If negative your doctor would prescribe the medication to induce periods. Do start a contraception method from now to avoid risk of pregnancy.

If positive, the only way is to go for abortion.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 13 minutes later

I am 19 years old , unmarried . So I am afraid to XXXXXXX a gynecologist in personal. So can you suggest me some oral abortion pills , which I can take if the result is positive in urine pregnancy test . And can you also suggest me the apt methods to follow , incase if we ever had sex without a barrier like condoms ( we are much ashamed to buy one from medical shops as well ) .
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 58 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

You need to be under supervision for taking any abortion pills. So you have to XXXXXXX a gynecologist in case you are positive for pregnancy.

The apt method to follow for contraception if you do not wish to use condoms is start an oral contraceptive pill. These have to be taken regularly on a fixed time.

If you are not pregnant, before starting any contraception you need to have your menses. For this you need a medication to induce periods for which you need to consult personally.

Missing periods does not always mean you are pregnant. Also many conditions can present in the same way. Taking self medication without consulting a doctor can be XXXXXXX
This is because history as well as examination with appropriate tests are a must to ensure right diagnosis.

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later

Can you please suggest some kit names and their prices for urinary pregnancy testing.
As well as what could be the possible price of ultra sound scanning? Can you also suggest us the names and prices of oral contraceptive pills ? We heard that abortion also is done surgically which causes lot of pain and stitches as well ? It has been 2 months (approx) since I missed my periods , do you think that it would take a surgical abortion or an oral abortion pill under gynic supervision ? What should be the proper way of approach to consult a gynic in cases like mine ( as I am not married but I am an adult , meaning is that illegal or will that be fine to tell her that I am not married and ask for an abortion ) do you see such cases daily ? If so what is the probable total price to get abortion done ?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 7 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Pregnancy test kits like velocit, i-can or pregasure kit can be used and are widely available. They cost around Rs 50.

The ultrasound of the pelvis to localize uterus and its contents costs minimum of Rs 500. However the price may differ depending on the place.

Oral contraceptive pills are many like loette, femilon, XXXXXXX etc, which cost a minimum of Rs 120 for one pack.

DO NOT start OC pills without evaluation of a doctor and ruling out pregnancy and without having menses.

Surgical abortion is not that painful as is done under anaesthesia.

NO STITCHES are applied.

Abortion whether done medically or surgically is decided by your pregnancy duration.
Abortion with drugs is preferred only when your pregnancy is less than 7 weeks. Pregnancy more than this duration usually land into incomplete abortion if termination is done with drugs.

Whether surgical or drug induced, abortion has to be done ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION and prescription of a doctor else it can be life threatening.

Total price of abortion varies depending on the hospital you choose. However it is not a costly procedure and does not require long term admission if completed without complications.

I suggest you to take your family and doctor into confidence as hiding anything can risk your life. Any abortion can land into life threatening complications.

I hope I have answered your queries.

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ultra sound

doctor1 MD

hiii docter,im suffering with impotence and l4,l5 disc bulge sensitive penis can i know how to cure that and i have phleboliths 23 of age,75 of wt and suffering with above symptoms for last one year .my ultra sound scan are clear showing no bad signs . then wats mistake in me .

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is Michelle. I am a 19 year old and I took an MRI for my back because I was having lower back nerve pain from a college soccer injury. But when I got the results back, they said that they found nothing wrong with my lower back but instead, the doctors found a dark shadow in my right kidney. So I took an Ultra sound for it and the dark shawdow was about as big as a quater maybe a little bigger right in the center of the kidney. What does this dark shadow mean?

doctor1 MD

30 minutes after a run yesterday, that i did not feel was extremely stressful. my heart felt out of rhythm and i was coughing. i felt like the cough was to get it back in rhythm, is it? i am a 50 year old female, have high blood pressure and am about 40 # overweight. i have had a EKG and stress test w/ultra sound and everything is normal.

doctor1 MD

II have fairly large swelling in the middle of my neck just above my adams apple. I have had thyroid blood tests and ultra sound scan all negative. Could it be a thyroglossal cyst? I know is not normal to have such huge swelling in my neck and now feel a bit worried. I can actually move it from side to side.

doctor1 MD

I started having symptoms about 7 weeks ago. Head congestion, then chest congestion, some fever, a cough, shortness of breath , and now pain in my chest under my left breast. (always after eating or drinking and random, when not, pain is worse...

doctor1 MD

I m freaking myself out that I have bladder cancer! I ve had frequent urination for about two months. Now I m having dull pains and cramps on my sides and lower abdominal

doctor1 MD

I’ve had a month of upper left rib pain , right near the left breast area. Had ultra sound chest X-ray, both normal, but spleen a bit enlarged 13.2. GP thinks muscular skeletal. I still have pain, not as intense as before. He doesn’t think ct is...