Missing periods after intercourse. What is the best method to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Sir,
I am a girl . Me and my boyfriend were having sex since the last 2 months. So I missed the periods since 2 months. I had 5 day dose of cycloreg tablets as well . But during the dosage time only , I got lite release of blood . And 2 days before also when we were having sex , there is a lite release of blood . I am not planning to have a pregnancy right now . What is the best method to avoid pregnancy other than taking an abortion pill ? We are pretty worried . A kind and quick answere woul make us happy . We are actually planning to have one more dose of cycloreg or duphaston or meprate . Please suggest a medicine so that I get period .
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The best method to avoid pregnancy is by using a regular contraceptive method like oral pills or barriers like condoms.

If you do not plan for pregnancy the only way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is using a regular contraception.

Now that you have not had periods for 2 months, I suggest you to take a urine pregnancy test.

If positive then none of the medicines you have mentioned (meprate, duphaston and cycloreg) can cause abortion. They will not induce complete abortion.
The bleeding you had after their intake was due to the effect of hormones contained in them. These pills are NOT FOR abortion.

If you are already positive, then there is no question of avoiding a pregnancy.

DO NOT Take any self medication for abortion. It can be XXXXXXX can cause serious bleeding and incomplete abortion.

So you need to visit a gynecologist.
Get your urine test done.

If negative your doctor would prescribe the medication to induce periods. Do start a contraception method from now to avoid risk of pregnancy.

If positive, the only way is to go for abortion.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.
Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 13 minutes later
Ma'am,

I am 19 years old , unmarried . So I am afraid to XXXXXXX a gynecologist in personal. So can you suggest me some oral abortion pills , which I can take if the result is positive in urine pregnancy test . And can you also suggest me the apt methods to follow , incase if we ever had sex without a barrier like condoms ( we are much ashamed to buy one from medical shops as well ) .
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 58 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

You need to be under supervision for taking any abortion pills. So you have to XXXXXXX a gynecologist in case you are positive for pregnancy.

The apt method to follow for contraception if you do not wish to use condoms is start an oral contraceptive pill. These have to be taken regularly on a fixed time.

If you are not pregnant, before starting any contraception you need to have your menses. For this you need a medication to induce periods for which you need to consult personally.

Missing periods does not always mean you are pregnant. Also many conditions can present in the same way. Taking self medication without consulting a doctor can be XXXXXXX
This is because history as well as examination with appropriate tests are a must to ensure right diagnosis.

take care.
Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Ma'am,

Can you please suggest some kit names and their prices for urinary pregnancy testing.
As well as what could be the possible price of ultra sound scanning? Can you also suggest us the names and prices of oral contraceptive pills ? We heard that abortion also is done surgically which causes lot of pain and stitches as well ? It has been 2 months (approx) since I missed my periods , do you think that it would take a surgical abortion or an oral abortion pill under gynic supervision ? What should be the proper way of approach to consult a gynic in cases like mine ( as I am not married but I am an adult , meaning is that illegal or will that be fine to tell her that I am not married and ask for an abortion ) do you see such cases daily ? If so what is the probable total price to get abortion done ?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 7 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Pregnancy test kits like velocit, i-can or pregasure kit can be used and are widely available. They cost around Rs 50.

The ultrasound of the pelvis to localize uterus and its contents costs minimum of Rs 500. However the price may differ depending on the place.

Oral contraceptive pills are many like loette, femilon, XXXXXXX etc, which cost a minimum of Rs 120 for one pack.

DO NOT start OC pills without evaluation of a doctor and ruling out pregnancy and without having menses.

Surgical abortion is not that painful as is done under anaesthesia.

NO STITCHES are applied.

Abortion whether done medically or surgically is decided by your pregnancy duration.
Abortion with drugs is preferred only when your pregnancy is less than 7 weeks. Pregnancy more than this duration usually land into incomplete abortion if termination is done with drugs.

Whether surgical or drug induced, abortion has to be done ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION and prescription of a doctor else it can be life threatening.

Total price of abortion varies depending on the hospital you choose. However it is not a costly procedure and does not require long term admission if completed without complications.

I suggest you to take your family and doctor into confidence as hiding anything can risk your life. Any abortion can land into life threatening complications.
SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE DECISIONS OR MEDICATION on your own.

I hope I have answered your queries.

take care.