Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Missing periods after c-section. Getting lower back pain. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
Not had a period since my c-section 8 years ago. Have started to have quite badly last few weeks; no bleeding or discharge. Whats going on? Am 44yrs old.******bad period pain in lower back********
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 18 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I would like you to clarify few points before I give you any advise.

You had no menses in the past 8 years?

You did not seek any treatment or investigation in the past 8 years for no periods?

Now you have suddenly started periods again which are very painful? or is it just pain?

Do you have symptoms of hot flushes, vaginal dryness and mood swings?

Kindly revert back with answers.

Waiting for your reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Missing periods after c-section. Getting lower back pain. What is going on? 53 minutes later
Just pain, no bleeding. No hot flushes or vaginal dryness or mood swings. Have had my hormone levels checked and they are 'normal'.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Your symptom of severe period like pain falls into a broad category of possibilities of which I would like to discuss the most probable ones.

It is exactly for the same reason that I would like to extract a bit more history from you in case you have any to share.

Since you did not menstruate after your caesarean section for 8 years, one possibility could be that you had scarring of the uterine lining after your caesarean.
This is a condition known as ashermann's syndrome, where instrumentation within the uterus or excessive curettage following any uterine surgery, cause damage and fibrosis of the uterine lining which manifests as no periods.
Cyclic period pain can occur in this condition.

The other possibilities of your period like pain can be associated pelvic diseases like an ovarian cyst, pelvic congestion syndrome or endometriosis.

For this you need to fix an appointment with a gynecologist, get your XXXXXXX and physical examination followed by ultrasound if required based on your examination.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor