Missing periods. HPT negative. Took antibiotic for fever. Having stomach ache. Pregnant?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: My period is 20 days late now (though it is a bit irregular most of the time). I had my last period on 15th November. I had taken 2 home pregnancy - one on 30th December and one today morning. Both shows negative results. However, i had viral fever on 14th December due to which I was on antibiotics for 5 days. Also, I had a very bad stomache ache because of my kidney stone on 12th December. It subsided without any medicine though. Also the time my period started last month( 15th Nov), I had cough and cold with fever for which I was under another dose of antibiotics. Could all these be the reason for the delay? Even though my husband and I had never had unprotected sex in between, I am just worried if there could be any chance that I am pregnant and I should go for a blood test. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 28 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

You should provide me answers of the following questions as a follow up query.
1.     Did your previous periods occur regularly on expected date?
2.     What is the duration of your menstrual cycle? Tell me about last 3 cycles.

The conditions you mentioned are not known to cause delay in period. Because, menstruation is a very sophisticated physiological process which is solely dependent on hormones like estrogen, progesterone, LH, FSH. As the conditions you mentioned has no relation with hormonal imbalance then they cannot lead to this situation usually.

Look, the basic problem in you is delay in period. Now, you have done 2 pregnancy test and you have never had unprotected sex. That indicates very little chance of pregnancy. But just to be sure, you have to do a blood test for beta HCG level and an ultrasound scan of abdomen. Ultrasound scan is the gold standard investigation for detection of pregnancy. It also detects presence of any abnormal conditions like polycystic ovary, any fibroid, which can also give rise to this type of conditions.

The next line of management will be determined only after these reports. If all are within normal limit, then you should visit a gynecologist for progesterone challenge to induce period.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply. My periods are not very regular. I had my last period on 15th nov and on 10th or 11th Oct. I will have the tests done and will get back to you with the reports. Are there any specific symptoms for polycystic ovary or fibroid?
Thank you for writing back.

You have really an irregular menstrual cycle. So, do the tests and keep following up with me or consult with your gynecologist.

In polycystic ovarian syndrome, you may experience - irregular period, increased hair in face, increase in body weight, mood changes, and lastly, infertility. From your history, there is high suspicion.

In hypothyroidism, you may experience generalized weakness, loss of interest, weight gain, etc.

Hope you have your answers.

regards.