Owl Image

Missing periods. HPT negative. Feeling bloated. Worried for ectopic pregnancy or ovarian cancer?

Question
Hi - I am having pain on my lower left side. It comes and goes but it is a sharp pain. This has happened before but never this long. I am late with my period(I have taken home pregnancy tests about 6 now all with morning urine) they have all come back negative. My LMP was 9/29/12 and usually I go 35-38 days. The only pregnancy symptom that I feel I am having is some bloating. I am worried about ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cysts or ovarian cancer?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given how late your cycle is, and the negative pregnancy tests, it is almost certain that you are not pregnant. What you are likely experiencing is an "anovulatory cycle". Normally, when you ovulate, there is a predictable withdrawl bleed about 2 weeks later. When you don't ovulate, this bleeding does not occur and can be significantly delayed.

Certainly one cause might be a persistent functional ovarian cyst on the left. This would fit with what you are describing. You need to:
1. Call your OB/GYN for an appointment
2. Ask for an ultrasound
3. Ask about using a 10 day course of progesterone to induce a period
4. Ask about ways to regulate your cycle
5. Ask about birth control (if you are not on any)

I hope this helps and good luck!