Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Missing periods. Feeling nauseous, fatigued, pain in lower abdomen. Pregnancy test negative. Could it be a cyst?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
I am a very healthy 30 y/o, and I missed my period by 4 days. I don't feel well at all; I am fatigued and have had a dull achy pain in my lower right abdomin for days. I have been nauseous as well. I am not pregnant; I had a professional test done. Not sure if it could be a cyst? Should I seek medical attention or is this common?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
A period overdue only by 4 days that too for the first time is not indicative of a cyst. The first diagnosis that needs to be ruled out here is pregnancy. Sometimes a delayed conception may show an early false negative pregnancy tests.
You can test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test ( 20 - 25 mIU ) kit. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.
After the pregnancy is ruled out, the other causes of delayed periods may be hormonal imbalance, emotional upset, anxiety, stress, or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism, post pill amennorhea , polycystic ovarian syndrome or less frequently a pituitary tumor causing high prolactin levels or a hypothalamic disease are other causes that may be the cause here.
In case you do not get regular periods by next week then you can consider consulting your gynecologist for necessary investigations and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor