Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Missing period and feeling dizzy. Should I be worried for pregnancy?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hi. I am 51 years old. I have been having regular periods and now overdue and worried I may be pregnant. I am 5-6 days late. I am also experiencing very bad dizzy spells when laid down and turnover. The room spins
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Period date may alter/ delay 1-7 days and cycle varies from 21-35 days. It is considered as normal thing and mostly occurs due to hormonal imbalance & mental stress. It is more common prior to menopause or near peri-menopausal age group.

Here, you can wait for few days and undergo one home pregnancy test after 7 days & one blood test for beta-hcg if you have doubt in pregnancy.

Other reasons are stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, overweight or rapid weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication, thyroid disturbance, pelvic or vaginal infection etc.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist to perform complete health check up including pelvic examination. Some relevant investigation may be needed to pin point the diagnosis.

In the mean time, following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables and vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ meditation regularly (20-30 minutes).
4) Control body weight by regular light physical exercise. Maintain genital hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor