Missing period after taking primolut till. Had unprotected sex. How to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: hi, my wife was taking primolut till 28th Nov. Her expected date of period was 22nd Nov. She till now(6th Dec) didn't have her period. And today 6th Dec we had unsafe sex(broken condom). What do you suggest to avoid preganancy?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The medication that your wife is on is a progesterone only medication. It does not have quite the same benefit of pregnancy prevention as does a pill that contains estrogen and progesterone. While women are breast-feeding a newborn, though, this can be used as an effective birth control.

This is often used for cycle regulation or for the treatment of pain related to things like endometriosis.

The reason for her delayed period includes:
1. Pregnancy - you need to do a pregnancy test
2. Irregularity in terms of when she is ovulating - despite the use of this medication

In terms of prevention of pregnancy in the setting of unprotected intercourse, it would not be a bad idea to obtain emergency contraception and have her take it. Not only will it probably prevent pregnancy, it will also eventually induce a period. I believe that you have the ipill available to you in your country.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 26 minutes later
She was taking primolut-n to postpone her period as we had our wedding on 23th Nov.

So taking i-pill is completely safe given the fact that she was taking primolut-n 7 days back? Just wanted to clarify as not sure what could be effect of different drugs when taken in close intervals.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 minutes later
You are correct, I forgot to mention that the primolut medication CAN be used to delay a cycle for just that reason.

One would have thought that the discontinuation of the progesterone medication WOULD have caused a cycle to happen. That this did NOT happen is not a reason for concern. But, I would stick to my previous recommendation. There is no harm in taking the ipill as it has a benefit in terms of preventing an unplanned pregnancy.

Still, I would take a pregnancy test to make sure that she is not pregnant, then take the ipill, then repeat the pregnancy test in 1 and 2 weeks just to be sure.

Good luck. I hope that this helps!