Missed the polio drop for infant. What is the major purpose of this drop? Any complication?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: We have a kid who is 10months old. We have been admistering all the required vaccinations since his birth. We have missed polio drops for him when the same was to be given 6months back. I have couple of doubts on this. Firstly what is the major purpose for polio drops. Are the monthly or regular vaccination as prescribed by hospital at time of birth not sufficient? Secondly we are in banaglore city in India. Would you be able to share the date of polio drops administerin here in banglore for this year. Thrid how many times should be administer the polio drops to the kid?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for query on Healthcare Magic,
The major purpose of polio drops is to prevent polio virus which is the culprit of paralytic disability among children and to eradicate polio. In addition to regular immunization schedule the additional doses of oral polio drops to be given when there is Pulse Polio program is there in your locality.

The pulse polio program will be on 20th January 2013 and every time the date of program will be announced and publicized in majority of news papers and channels. The polio drops on pulse program will be on every year and polio drops can be given every year till the age of 5 years in Pulse polio program.

Hope i have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan