Missed periods and started spotting. Getting back pain. Is this the sign of menopause?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi I am 48 with a history of gynaecological issues. I have or have had - endometriosis, fibroids ovarian cysts and polyps. i had a cone biopsy in my early 20's and more recently have had abdominal surgery to remove a cyst (2004), a couple of laproscopic procedures (can't quite remember why) one was to do with an ovarian cyst, an ablation for the endometriosis (2010), followed a year later (june - dec 2011 (ish)) with a hormone induced menopause to stop the endometriosis which didn't work. My mother died of ovarian cancer aged 54. Her sister and my gran were still having periods late into their 50's.

i am due to have a hysterectomy in less than two weeks. At the point of seeing my gynaecologist in November i had been bleeding or spotting almost every day, an earlier exploration had revealed adhesions onto my bowl/pouch of XXXXXXX and i have frequent left side pain, and less frequent right. from dull thud to more acute. The thought up to 10 years before the menopause was part of the reasoning for going ahead with surgery.

Since seeing him i have missed at least two periods. This is unheard of for me. I do not seem to have any other menopausal symptoms. The pains continue and over the past four days seem to have spread to my lower left back. (unless its a kidney infection as we've all succumbed to the winter bugs) A regular three year smear/blood test happened to fall on Christmas eve, where i asked if she could take a test to see if it was the menopause. The results came back as LH 12 and FSH 14.

I have not been able to speak to my gynaecologist, and wondered if there were still enough reasons to go through this major surgery or if there were other reasons a period could stop?

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
I read your query and understand your concerns.
Following is my reply :
1) You are undergoing perimenopausal changes. That's why you are having not having periods. At menopause, periods become irregular and then stop.
2) That is the reason your reports indicates high FSH values. This suggests nearing menopause.
3) Your decision to undergo hysterectomy is best in your past and present conditions. Please go ahead with the same.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have more questions
Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli