Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Missed periods. US shows multiple calculi. Advised surgery. Is it curable with medicines?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
My wife missed her periods and our doctor recommanded to go for ultrasonography and given cycloreg tablet. As part of the abdomino-pelvic ultrasonography and the report shows multiple caluli within, largest measures 7-8 mm.

i want to know what we need to do. My family doctor is saying for operation. Is there some medicine which can also help in remove these stone.
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Missed period is rather not associated with kidney stones (if that is what you mean by saying "multiple caluli").

You were prescribed progestagen pill (Cycloreg) which is a kind of contraceptive pill. It regulates periods, but it blocks ovaries hormones secretion. So it does not solve your problem, and does not explain why you have missed the period. One of the most common reasons of missed period is pregnancy. So you should have pregnancy test done at first. If negative, gynecologist should be visited and transvaginal ultrasound should be done (classic ultrasound does not tell anything about ovaries or uterine).

If it is about multiple caluli, it might need some urologist procedures. But it does not need to be surgery. Such stones can be fragmented with ultra-waves and excreted naturally. With kidney stones you may suffer from back pain, radiating to the lower abdomen and groin. Frequent urinating, pain while urinating can be also present. Some people has completely no symptoms from kidney stones.

To help with stones removal, you should increase mineral water intake (2-3 liters/24hours), increase physical activity (jumping or stairs walking makes stones to move down), have cranberries supplements. In case of pain, hot bath, Metamizole, Buscolisine should be helpful.

In conclusion, I suggest you to visit gynecologist and diagnose your period problem. You should also visit urologist and consider the way to get rid of this stones.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor