Missed periods. Pregnancy test positive. What should I do to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Minoo Bhagia

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: hello ! i missed my periods this month, my due date for getting period was 19 th . i doubt ...i m pregnant . i have done my pregnancy test at home it came positive. i don't want baby now please help me...can i still do something to avoid it without an intervention( abortion)..?
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello
Welcome and thanks for the query

As you are overdue by 4 days and the pregnancy test is positive you have to take pills for the medical abortion as surgical evacuation is not done so early.It is better if you take pills under doctor's guidance as they might cause excessive bleeding or an incomplete abortion.If you are under doctor's observation then these problems can be dealt very easily.Get an ultrasound scan done after 15 days so as to see the uterine cavity whether it is empty or there is still a sac present.In very rare cases an ectopic pregnancy might cause failed abortion.Get your Haemoglobin level and BP check up done.If you are Rh negative then anti D inj is required after the abortion.
Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome
Follow up: Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
hi,
thanks for your valuable suggestion.
mam , i live in Maryland, U.S. and i want to see a doctor soon for my medical abortion and have been looking for an appointment with gynecologists since two days...

but not getting any appointment before Tuesday... and i am afraid it will be very late to start the treatment...

for the same reason i was trying to terminate pregnancy naturally today....i ate a cup of sesame seeds and papaya (500 gm) i also took bath in hot water today (i know it was ridiculous and i never do such things without doctor's advice).

a friend who is a doctor (not a gynecologist) told me that at this age(29 -30 ) i have only 10 % chances to conceive every month and i should continue pregnancy.

mam, please tell me ...if i get this pregnancy terminated medically this time is there any risk in getting pregnant next time? (i don't have any other kind of medical problems and my monthly cycle is regular)

can i get an appointment with you today on 24th?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later
Hello

Dear
Welcome back

Yes you can wait for 2-3 days before you take the pill and XXXXXXX the doctor as you are only 4 days overdue and waiting up to one week doesn't do any harm.If it is your first pregnancy then you should continue it if there is no personal problem.Medical abortion usually does not hamper in next pregnancies until and unless you require surgical intervention in few cases which may cause tubal blockage due to infection.
Papaya and other seeds used are not medically proved to cause 100% abortion.
Getting an appointment with me can be on telephone or web chat for which you have to contact the management department of the website.
Best wishes
Take care and good luck
Follow up: Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 days later
hello mam,
thanks for your sincere advice.At present i am planning to continue my pregnancy. But some doubts are still bothering me...as i came to know that i am pregnant, i took tub bath in hot water for about 30 minutes to naturally abort the pregnancy (also i ate sesame seeds ,papaya, raspberries, and lemon ) but it didn't work or cause any health problem. Now i am afraid if i have hurt the child because i read on a website that tub bath in hot water can cause birth defects in child. Are there chances that baby can have neural defects ? please guide me .
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 19 hours later
Hello

Welcome back

No I don't think taking bath in hot water tub and eating sesame seeds and papaya can cause birth defects but these methods can cause miscarriage in few cases.If there is no pain and bleeding you can continue the pregnancy and get all the investigations and ultrasound done.Take folic acid supplements.

Best wishes