Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Missed periods. Pregnancy test positive. What should I do to avoid pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
hello ! i missed my periods this month, my due date for getting period was 19 th . i doubt ...i m pregnant . i have done my pregnancy test at home it came positive. i don't want baby now please help me...can i still do something to avoid it without an intervention( abortion)..?
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Welcome and thanks for the query

As you are overdue by 4 days and the pregnancy test is positive you have to take pills for the medical abortion as surgical evacuation is not done so early.It is better if you take pills under doctor's guidance as they might cause excessive bleeding or an incomplete abortion.If you are under doctor's observation then these problems can be dealt very easily.Get an ultrasound scan done after 15 days so as to see the uterine cavity whether it is empty or there is still a sac present.In very rare cases an ectopic pregnancy might cause failed abortion.Get your Haemoglobin level and BP check up done.If you are Rh negative then anti D inj is required after the abortion.
Best wishes
Take care
Any further query is most welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Missed periods. Pregnancy test positive. What should I do to avoid pregnancy? 2 hours later
thanks for your valuable suggestion.
mam , i live in Maryland, U.S. and i want to see a doctor soon for my medical abortion and have been looking for an appointment with gynecologists since two days...

but not getting any appointment before Tuesday... and i am afraid it will be very late to start the treatment...

for the same reason i was trying to terminate pregnancy naturally today....i ate a cup of sesame seeds and papaya (500 gm) i also took bath in hot water today (i know it was ridiculous and i never do such things without doctor's advice).

a friend who is a doctor (not a gynecologist) told me that at this age(29 -30 ) i have only 10 % chances to conceive every month and i should continue pregnancy.

mam, please tell me ...if i get this pregnancy terminated medically this time is there any risk in getting pregnant next time? (i don't have any other kind of medical problems and my monthly cycle is regular)

can i get an appointment with you today on 24th?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later

Welcome back

Yes you can wait for 2-3 days before you take the pill and XXXXXXX the doctor as you are only 4 days overdue and waiting up to one week doesn't do any harm.If it is your first pregnancy then you should continue it if there is no personal problem.Medical abortion usually does not hamper in next pregnancies until and unless you require surgical intervention in few cases which may cause tubal blockage due to infection.
Papaya and other seeds used are not medically proved to cause 100% abortion.
Getting an appointment with me can be on telephone or web chat for which you have to contact the management department of the website.
Best wishes
Take care and good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Missed periods. Pregnancy test positive. What should I do to avoid pregnancy? 5 days later
hello mam,
thanks for your sincere advice.At present i am planning to continue my pregnancy. But some doubts are still bothering i came to know that i am pregnant, i took tub bath in hot water for about 30 minutes to naturally abort the pregnancy (also i ate sesame seeds ,papaya, raspberries, and lemon ) but it didn't work or cause any health problem. Now i am afraid if i have hurt the child because i read on a website that tub bath in hot water can cause birth defects in child. Are there chances that baby can have neural defects ? please guide me .
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 19 hours later

Welcome back

No I don't think taking bath in hot water tub and eating sesame seeds and papaya can cause birth defects but these methods can cause miscarriage in few cases.If there is no pain and bleeding you can continue the pregnancy and get all the investigations and ultrasound done.Take folic acid supplements.

Best wishes
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor