Missed periods. Faint line seen on pregnancy kit. What should be done for abortion?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I am a father of one and a half year old boy baby.My wife missed the means date on 29th nov'12 and so we have carried out Preg Test at Home for 3 days showing Two purple lines but one is very lighter apppeared after 5-7 minutes.
Visited doctor for confirmation and abt abort process, instantly she advise me to abort through surgery by simply giving some TSH,RBC and HameoG Test.
Not satified with her and consulted another doctor and she advised me to do Sonography-WHOLE ABDOMEN plus TVS.Result came with no clear picture of Pregnancy and again advised me to do TVS after 5 days.
Pls advise how to deal with this
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 53 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.
Ultrasound can depict pregnancy only after 5 weeks.

You say your wife's urine test was faintly positive which means it is a bit early for her test and ultrasound to detect pregnancy.

Do not go for any abortion procedure without an ultrasound. This is because before any abortion whether surgical or medical (with drugs) , an ultrasound is a must to know the SITE and SIZE of pregnancy.

When pregnancy is outside the uterus (ectopic pregnancy), no abortion process helps and management is different.
Besides at times the pregnancy is not visible in uterus on ultrasound because of this condition.

You get your repeat ultrasound done after a week if your wife is around 6 weeks by then.
Do not take any abortion without supervision of a doctor.

Weeks of pregnancy are calculated by counting the days from her last menses starting date and then converted into weeks.

I hope I have answered your query.