Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Missed period. Pregnancy test negative. Experiencing hot flashes. What's going on?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Ive missed my period by two weeks today and ive taken test but theyve all said negtive. Ive been experiencing hot flashes and I cant finish a meal without puking can you help
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you should undergo one blood test for beta-HCG to confirm or exclude pregnancy. Sometimes early home pregnancy test with urine may give negative result

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for delayed period (near about 2 weeks) with hot flashes include stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance including thyroid disturbance, ovarian cyst, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, taking any psychiatric medication etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as ultrasound scan (USG) for lower abdomen, Complete hormone assay ( LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels), blood sugar & prolactin level, thyroid profile etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide above mentioned investigations after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.
6) May need one psychological counseling for healthy life style. Always take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.
7) Taking anti emetic medication (like ondansetron etc) can help you to get relief from above condition.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor