Mirena inserted. Itchy rashes appeared, missing periods and having pelvic pain. Is this normal?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Have mirena missed period pain on right side pelvic back groin area. Also itchy red rash with raised bumps on stomach at bikini line.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
XXXXXXX,
Let me tell you some facts about Mirena.
It is a hormone containing intrauterine device. The hormone in the Mirena makes periods lighter, less painful and prevents pregnancy by:
• reducing the thickness of the lining of the endometrium (womb) so that periods
become lighter
• modifies the normal mucus in the cervix (neck of the womb), so that the sperm
cannot get through to fertilise the egg
• preventing ovulation (release of the egg) in some women.

Many women have a small amount of bleeding (spotting) or light bleeding in between their normal periods for the first 3-6 months after having the Mirena fitted. Some women have heavy or prolonged bleeding during this time. You are likely to have a gradual reduction in the number of days you bleed and the bleeding will eventually get lighter. In some women the bleeding stops altogether.

When the Mirena is removed, your periods will return to normal.

It is very rare for women to become pregnant with the Mirena in place, (0.2% chance).
Missing a period may not mean that you are pregnant. Some women may not have
periods whilst they are using the Mirena. If you have not had a period for 6 weeks you can then consider having a pregnancy test. If this is negative there is no
need to carry out another test unless you have other signs of pregnancy .

Regarding your pelvic pain, Possible causes might be ovulatory pain, pelvic infection, ovarian cysts, endometriosis or pregnancy related causes. Sometimes, appendicitis, renal or bladder or ureteric stones, or bowel related problems might mimic pelvic pain.

If the pain is bothersome, you need to consult a gynecologist for a detailed pelvic examination including routine blood and urine tests, ultrasound ( will evaluate status of your missed period also ), vaginal cultures to rule out infection and other tests as indicated. Treatment is indicated by the cause of pain.

Commonest cause of the itchy red rash on the bikini line is the irritation caused following hair removal - whether razors, epilators, or creams. Sometimes, contact dermatitis due to detergents, bleaches or fabrics might cause this. It might also be a specific skin disorder, for which you can consult a dermatologist.

All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli