Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Mild variation in menstrual cycle. Not able to conceive. Concerned about taking anesthesia for RCT

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I've got married this yr in the month of Feb. My wife is not getting conceive and still getting her regular periods but the dates keep on changing,,,its almost 22 to 26 days gap between each month.She is also undergoing her dental treatment (RCT, crown lengthening) which requires her to take anesthesia and painkillers.She didn't use any contraceptive pills,For your information I'm providing you, her period dates before the month of marriage and there after:- Jan-10, Feb-05,Mar-01,Mar-28 and Apr-22.I'm worried if there is any problem either with me or her. Please advice.

Thanks a lot, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
You have been married only for two months. Under normal circumstances, it might take upto one year to conceive with routine sex life without any pathology.
A cycle varying between 22 to 26 days is normal and is not suggestive of any infertility.
The best period to have intercourse for a successful conception is fertile period.
The first day of a period is considered as day 1. In a regular 28 day cycle, usually on day 14, the egg is released and is waiting for the sperm to fertilize it. The egg has a lifespan of just 12 to 24 hours whereas a sperm can last for about 72 hours in a woman. Sex on alternate days from day 08 till day 16 is the time that the woman has the highest chances for pregnancy.

Alternatively, you can use an LH surge kit to detect the highest levels of LH in your wife's urine. Having sex for next two days consecutively after an LH surge will result in a successful conception.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor