Owl Image

Mild abnormalities inside cervix and slight abnormal pap smear with HPV positive. Suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
42 Year old female- married for over 12 years.
I would like a second opinion...
I have never had an abnormal pap until three months ago, came back with slightly abnormal, and HPV positive.
I was shocked! Did colposcopy came back my outer part of cervix fine, but mild abnormalities now inside the cervix. So mild that it is not a category 1, 2, or 3

Now the doctors want to do a Leep procedure on me, this is all so invasive and really I feel like they are chasing something that is not there. Before this they told me I needed my thyroid checked and sent me for an ultrasound. Turns out it is in great shape. I am very healthy, don't smoke don't drink.
Can I have a false positive for HPV? What do you think about a second opinion? I am really at a loss
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later

You have got slight abnormal pap smear with HPV positive. Colposcopy result also shows mild abnormalities inside cervix. Both findings are satisfactory in favor of Mild Cervical Dysplasia.
You may repeat HPV test from well known laboratory to clear doubt from mind.You may take 2nd opinion prior to take part in any procedure but I think that result will be same, without alteration of morphology of cervical tissue. Undergo cervical Punch Biopsy for histological confirmation of diagnosis. Consult with your oncologist and do the suggestive procedure.

Early diagnosis and treatment is very much helpful in prevention and cure of cervical dysplasia or cancer. So focus on your treatment procedure.Do prescribed investigation like USG and thyroid profile.

LEEP is the procedure of choice for treating cervical dysplasia (preferably CIN 2&3) due to ease of use,cost effective, performed under direct colposcopic visualization and provision of tissue histological evaluation.

Your age is 42 yrs with completed family.So you can undergo LEEP procedure. Alternatively Cryotherapy may be done in very early stage.

Don't be tensed. Consult with Oncologist and schedule for the procedure.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Maintain your personal hygiene. Wish your better health.