Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Mild abnormalities inside cervix and slight abnormal pap smear with HPV positive. Suggestion?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: 42 Year old female- married for over 12 years.
I would like a second opinion...
I have never had an abnormal pap until three months ago, came back with slightly abnormal, and HPV positive.
I was shocked! Did colposcopy came back my outer part of cervix fine, but mild abnormalities now inside the cervix. So mild that it is not a category 1, 2, or 3

Now the doctors want to do a Leep procedure on me, this is all so invasive and really I feel like they are chasing something that is not there. Before this they told me I needed my thyroid checked and sent me for an ultrasound. Turns out it is in great shape. I am very healthy, don't smoke don't drink.
Can I have a false positive for HPV? What do you think about a second opinion? I am really at a loss
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

You have got slight abnormal pap smear with HPV positive. Colposcopy result also shows mild abnormalities inside cervix. Both findings are satisfactory in favor of Mild Cervical Dysplasia.
You may repeat HPV test from well known laboratory to clear doubt from mind.You may take 2nd opinion prior to take part in any procedure but I think that result will be same, without alteration of morphology of cervical tissue. Undergo cervical Punch Biopsy for histological confirmation of diagnosis. Consult with your oncologist and do the suggestive procedure.

Early diagnosis and treatment is very much helpful in prevention and cure of cervical dysplasia or cancer. So focus on your treatment procedure.Do prescribed investigation like USG and thyroid profile.

LEEP is the procedure of choice for treating cervical dysplasia (preferably CIN 2&3) due to ease of use,cost effective, performed under direct colposcopic visualization and provision of tissue histological evaluation.

Your age is 42 yrs with completed family.So you can undergo LEEP procedure. Alternatively Cryotherapy may be done in very early stage.

Don't be tensed. Consult with Oncologist and schedule for the procedure.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Maintain your personal hygiene. Wish your better health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Papillomavirus

doctor1 MD

I have no were else to turn for help. i have been suffering from warts for many years. i have 4 large pink warts on my index finger. plus many more around my finger nails. This issue has kept me from geting a job. what is the best proven treatment and the cost? Please help im desperate for answers thinks.

doctor1 MD

Well I have developed these bumbs on the outer side of my vagina. They are not genital warts because I am a virgin. They aren t gross looking either. They are red and some look like pimples. They are on my butt too a little bit. They are itchy and when i itch them they hurt. My dads girlfriend said it could be from shaving and a mixture of wearing pads. So for the last two days I have been wearing tampons but the bumps are still there and still itchy. I read some things and girls said pads are causing them to have like chemical burn, but these loads haven t ever bothered me this much. So I don t know what it is or what to do. What do you think?

doctor1 MD

i had a pap smear done and no scar tissue, i had a complete hysterectomy in 2004 i spot blood time to time, and i have lots of heart burns help need answers. im 44 years old. could i have acid reflux, i have a lump in neck, it is a lymph node, non cancerous, but gets flat, then comes back, very visual, help

doctor1 MD

Hello. I had a leep procedure done without my doctor doing a colpo. She mentioned that she will do the colpo during the leep procedure and that I need to have it done anyway because I came back at high grade HPV. She cut off a huge chunk of my cervix in which all of it was normal tissue. Now I m having all kinds of sharp pains in my pelvix, pain during intercourse and weird periods that stay on for about two weeks. I went to another obgyn who stated that this doctor should not have done the leep without doing the colpo first to see if it was even necessary. Do I have a lawsuit and what can I do about this?

doctor1 MD

I recently had a pap smear that came back ASC H. I had a colposcopy last week with the following results: Part A: CERVIX , 5:00, BIOPSY: LOW-GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (CIN 1). KOILOCYTOSIS CONSISTENT WITH HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV)...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 23yr old... I had unprotected sex with a guy when i am young before reaching my puberty(before commence of my 1st menstrual cycle) Is there chances of i getting pregnant...? I am scared of this and feel shy to consult a doctor and speak...

doctor1 MD

I have some very small pink round dots/marks around pubic area. they are hardly noticeable but they sometimes itch or are slightly painful. can you please let me know what this could be? (see attached photo). thank you