Metal rods placed in back. Felt bump on back with restriction of the movements of the neck. Normal?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, my girlfriend had metal rods placed into her back. They extend the length of her entire back, she has been having increasing pains lately and there is a large bump forming near the top of her back. She is having trouble moving/turning her neck, and moving her arms. What exactly is happening and is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
The presence of a bump along with restriction of the movements of the neck is a worrisome finding. It can be related to formation of an XXXXXXX hematoma or displacement of the rods. A direct physical examination and investigations like MRI of the spine are needed to see the extent of the swelling. Please do consult her orthopedician for a proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
She has consulted her doctor and they do have MRI's the rods her spine has curvature but it is twisting more sideways rather than making a s like shape. When they asked for assistance from him he gave them a 3 minute talking to, was very rude and that was the extent of the meeting. It has been getting worse and worse recently. It takes up to 3 months for her to arrange a meeting with her doctor, because there are very few doctors who are knowledgeable about her surgery. I am not sure if i am able to send pictures via this website. Or i would send you pictures of these MRI's.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pain in the rods is due to the displacement and their improper shape. They may need to be removed for a proper relief. A physical examination is necessary to find out the extent of displacement. You can upload the CT scan reports in the box provided on the query page right hand side.
Hope my answer is helpful.