Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Met with an accident. Experiencing pain in arm. X-ray showed no dislocation. Treatment needed?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I had a motorbike accident and pain came to my shoulder 4 days after the accident, since then I have had severe pain in the morning which lasts about 2-3 hours, then the rest of the day my shoulder and upper bicep just aches slightly, also my back and neck can sometimes ache sporadically. This injury was 4 weeks ago, and since the I have had severe motion loss of arm unless using I use it low to the ground , now the pain also radiates to my neck and shoulder blade sometimes, My bicep area has become numb also, I think it maybe an extreme case of frozen shoulder. “frozen shoulder”, but im worried if my tendon is torn and worry about losing motion with this arm for the rest of my life, My arm now 3 hours after waking up and taking a anti-inflammatory drug, a muscle relax and a heavy pain killer "Lyrica" The ache continues right now i have no motion whatsoever with my shoulder outward from by body in all directions. Forgot to mention i have dislocated this arm "right arm" when I was young approx 6 years old, and I am 26 years , but i have had an xray and it and it showed no dislocation. What would be your thoughts/diagnosis and what treatment do I need ?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us.

It seems to be rotator cuff injury.Pain and tenderness in shoulder, especially when reaching overhead, reaching behind your back, lifting, pulling or sleeping on the affected side and loss of shoulder range of motion are common symptoms.

Most of the time, treatment for rotator cuff injuries involves exercise therapy.
Do not worry about losing motion for the rest of your life, physical therapy and specific exercises designed to help heal your injury, improve the flexibility of your rotator cuff and shoulder muscles, and provide balanced shoulder muscle strength. Depending on the severity of your injury, physical therapy may take from several weeks to several months to reach maximum effectiveness.

I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician for thorough examination and get a MRI done to reach the correct diagnosis.

Hope this helps you.I would be glad to help if needed.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at WWW.WWWW.WW
Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor