Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Menopausal due to chronic myelogenous leukemia. Diagnosed with fluid in cyst. Will it lead to cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 99 Questions
I am 37, menopausal due to chronic mylogenous leukemia at age 19. I believe since 2009, I have had the same paraovarian cyst that wad diagnosed as a simple fluid filled cyst. At my annual exams, I usually get it checks to make sure it has not changed. This past May it was still a simple fluid filled cyst at approx. 3.5 cm. They told me to come back in 8 weeks to check it again. This time (today), it is now 5 cm, still mostly fluid filled but on the bottom area of the cyst now has some debris that were not there on the previous ultra sound. It also has the beginning of a septation in it. MY OBGYN referred me to a gynecologic oncologist. She said it does not mean it's definitely cancer but that it has changed since the last time ultra sound was done 8 weeks ago. I believe I have some type of PTSD because of my medical history with leukemia as a teenager and have convinced myself this cyst has now become cancerous. Does a changing cyst such as what I have described usually mean cancer?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your medical history and findings suggest that there is paraovarian cyst and this is growing fast. It does not mean it is cancer. Most of these types are benign.

However, this has to be further investigated by tumor markers like CA-125, CT (Computerized Tomography) scan.

Further, the definitive test would be removal of the cyst and histopathological examination (frozen section examination).

Hope I have been of help to you. Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor