Medicine and diet plan to increase weight and immunity power of a 2 years old

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor
I have a 2.3 year old daughter and her weight is 9.5 kg, and her immunity power is very less, she eats breakfast at 9.30 Am, 12.30pm Milk and lunch at 4pm lunch and dinner at 9.30PM
Request you to provide the complete diet chat which can increase her weight and immunity power and what type of food we can provide to increase her weight or any medicine?? She doesn’t like milk and reject outside food after tasting
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I have two questions to begin with.

1- why do you say her immunity is low?
Does she get frequent infections?

2 what was her birth weight and were there any problems in the newborn period?

Basically to increase the weight you have to give her high protein and high calorie diet.

Morning you must give her the first cup of milk by 7-8 am as soon as she wakes up.( make it a habit to get up early in the morning and also sleep early in the night)

One hour later ,you can give her either 1-2 I Idlies or one dosa or khichri with moong dhal. Then allow her to play nicely. By 11 am, you can give her 3-4 ozs of juice(apple ,mango or orangeq)

Lunch should be around 1 noon with mashed rice and dhal
and some vegetables. Boiled egg can be given at this time.

Around 4 pm you can give one more cup of milk.

By 7 pm,you can give either boiled XXXXXXX or cerelac cereal

By 9-10 pm another milk

This can be a rough schedule and you can do some interchanges!
Try out and see!
Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 26 minutes later
Thanks Doctor
For your questions
1- Why do you say her immunity is low? Does she get frequent infections?
Yes she fall ill for every 3 -4 months cough and fever at this time she eats very less and as we follow more cleanness for her

2. What was her birth weight and were there any problems in the newborn period?
No problem at the time birth and the birth weight was 2.5 kg

Doctor the thing is she doesn’t feel hungry and she reject the any food what we try to feed
Please provide me the complete the food details which contains high calories/vitamins/minerals and fat as weekly chart

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
First I want to allay your anxiety!
Your child started with 2.5 kg weight and for that birth weight,she is gaining weight and following the same growth percentile!
Suppose she was 3. 5 kg at birth,this weight of 9.5 kg at 2.3 years will be low!!!

Secondly 3-4 infections per year in the first 2 years and 1-3 episodes in the 2-5 age group is normal. Babies tend to get infections when they go to kg class in the school.

Also any infection like fever and diarrhoea will bring down the weight of the baby by 0.5 to 1 kg!

So considering all this your baby is not too bad in weight.
Do not worry if she is active,playful and otherwise normal.
By being over anxious ,you will try to stuff her more and she may refuse!
For her lack of appetite if her examination by the doctor and basic investigations are normal, then divert her attn while feeding and try some gimmicks!
Once she goes to school,by seeing other kids she will regularise her eating pattern.

Reg the diet

High in protein

Dhals -all especially moong
Egg white,panner,manna mix with all dhals and nuts..

High in calories
Butter ghee,oils, full cream milk.

You can interchange theses things and use them .
We can not be very strict with anything as the child is fragile and has her own likes and dislikes.
Anyway in summary there is scope and hope for improvement!
God bless
Dr Uma