Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Medication for severe trauma?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5549 Questions
Hello. I'm writing on behalf of my 82 year old mother. She's had a progressively deteriorating ability to speak..struggling find the right words. Exhaustive tests have been done (including a brain MRI) which have all come back negative for anything like stroke, tumor or other brain disease. She is in otherwise excellent health. After doing some research online, I stumbled upon Aphasia (Expressive or Anomic seem to fit the bill). I believe this is what my Mom has. I'm interested to see if I'm on the right path here. Although my mom never had a stroke, she has been through severe trauma over the past few years over the death of my Dad. Any thoughts?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: I agree with your suspicion. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I agree with your suspicion that your mother could be suffering from a condition known as primary progressive aphasia. In this condition, the person loses ability to comprehend and speak and the condition continues to deteriorate over time. This is a degenerative process, similar to Alzheimer's disease, but unlike Alzheimer's disease, other symptoms of dementia are not seen (such as memory impairment, ability to take self care, finding way at home or outside calculation ability, etc). PET (positron emission tomography) may help in finding out the areas of brain affected, as PET scan shows the function of brain. This would help in confirming the diagnosis to a certain extent. Unfortunately, there are no medications to cure it or stop the progression. Speech therapy may help partly. I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir XXXXXXX MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Medication for severe trauma? 22 hours later
Thank you, Dr XXXXXXX for your insight. We will follow up with a local neurologist & suggest a P.E.T. scan to confirm. You've been most helpful.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Please keep me informed about her progress. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir XXXXXXX MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor