Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Medical test done for GGT, ALK, ASP and ALT. How to reduce these levels? Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I am 62 & I had a medical last week & my GGT was 155, ALK 134, ASP 42.6 & ALT 61.6 - is there a cause for concern & how do I reduce them. My medical was for a new job (Office job) could this be a reason to fail me. My ECG, BP, Chest X-Ray, Uric Acid, etc were all fine
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 24 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Before answering your query I need certain informations from you so that I am in a better position to advise you.
Are you consuming alcohol excessively?
Are you over weight?
Do you regularly take any medications like anti seizure medicines or anti cholesterol medicines?
Is there any sign of hyperthyroidism like palpitations,sweating,loss of weight or increased appetite?
is there any history of liver disease?

Please supply these informations so that I can proceed ahead.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Medical test done for GGT, ALK, ASP and ALT. How to reduce these levels? Should I be concerned? 14 minutes later
To answer your question:-

I have 2 or 3 beers a night socially after work
My BMI is 29.8
I do not take any medicines & I do not smoke at all
There is no sign of palpitations, sweating, loss of weight or increased appetite
I have no history of liver discease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Your history suggests that primary reasons for your high GGT. And ALT are alcoholism and to some extent your being overweight.
Although these should not fail you in getting your new job,however I advise you to reduce your weight and stop taking your beers as uncontrolled alcohol may lead to liver inflammation and cirrohsis subsequently.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor