Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Meaning of urethral diverticulum? Cause perminate damage?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
what is a urethral diverticulum,? and does it cause perminate damage
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Urethral diverticulum is an outpouching of tissue from urethra into surrounding tissue into the anterior vaginal wall.

The urethral diverticulum result from enlargement of obstructed glands the present around the urethra.

It is a sac like extension from the urethra into surrounding tissue with a communication with urethra.

It causes permanent damage in the following ways :

1. Causes recurrent urinary tract infections

2. Leads to abscess formation

3. Stone formation within the urethral diverticulum

4. Large, enlarging diverticulum will cause obstruction to urinary flow leading to
acute urinary retention.

5. Rarely urethral carcinoma may arise in long standing diverticulum.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor