Marble sized ball on left testicle. What could this be?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Good evening Iam a 61 year old male with a marble size ball on my left tecticle it don't move and it feels like its stuck on it. Its been there for 5 to 10 years.Just wondering what it could be. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Needs ultrasound scan evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. A marble size ball attached to your testis and relatively constant in size is most likely a benign lesion. It might be an epididymal cyst, which is a small fluid filled structure in the region of epididymis that sits on top of testis. The other possibility is that of a spermatic cord cyst, which is also a fluid filled slow growing harmless cyst like swelling. If there was any trauma to your scrotal region years ago and you had a small hematocele which had formed, even that can cause a marble sized swelling. Sometimes any low grade infection can cause a small amount of fluid within the scrotum and that is known as loculated hydrocele. Given the possibilities, you need to confirm your diagnosis by getting clinically examined by a urologist and subsequently going for an ultrasound scan of testis. If there is pain in the area, you should discuss it with your doctor. Though chances of tumours is leass likely, it must be ruled out. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek