Male patient, age 31yr, H/o Cataract surgery of left eye

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Male patient, age 31yr, H/o Cataract surgery of left eye 4-5yrs back. Curently having left eye blurring vision.
Please advise about the prognosis of this case.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prognosis after cataract surgery in PSC

Detailed Answer:
Hi Shrikant,

Thank you for the question.

I am a practising Ophthalmologist for 8 yrs and I shall try to answer your question.
The said patient would have had this Posterior subcapsular cataract for very long time thus he was operated and put on multifocal IOL. By the time the operation was done the left eye was not functioning well (in terms of vision) the reason could be amblyopia (lazy eye). The other possibility is formation of a posterior capsular opacification which also drops the vision. There is no treatment for Amblyopia so the prognosis can be poor. For the second reason ; opacification, a laser YAG capsulotomy can be tried.

Meantime a refractive correction with glasses can be helpful for left eye. COnsult an ophthalmologist for the same.

Hope this answers. Let me know if you have any questions.