Male-89-years.-well hydrated with water/fruit juice/tomato juice/ pedialyte.-generally good health,Controlled Hypertension

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Male-89-years.-well hydrated with water/fruit juice/tomato juice/ pedialyte.-generally good health,Controlled Hypertension,Controlled Gout, Infrequent AFib-Rx: Losartan,allopurinal,propranolol 10 mg (PRN), Controlled cholesterol Niacin 300mg/ 2/day. Sudden onset. Decreased urination from 8 to 10 times/day to 2/day, urine clear.. Chills-leg cramps-fatigue. BP normal-133/72.
Thu, 1 Feb 2018 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Measure quantity of urine passed in 24 hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted you have noticed frequency of urination from 8/day to 2 /day during day time since very recently.

It is not the frequency but quantity of urine that you pass in 24 hours that is more important and significant than frequency.

I would suggest you to measure total volume of urine that you pass in 24 hours .

Normally passing 1200-1500 ml of urine with intake of 3.5 to 4 liters of fluids in 24 hours is considered to be adequate for a elderly man above the age of 70 years.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

.