MRI showing compression fracture of L1 vertebral body with marrow oedema. Should I be worried about the findings?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Question: sir , i am XXXX XXXXXXX my father effected by an injury that mri scan report was as below - There is compression fracture of L1 vertebral body with marrow oedema and mild indentation on theca. pedicles and posterior elements are intact. - There are osteophytes on vertebrae mild degenerative changes in L4-5, L5-S1 facets. -L4-5 disc shows bulge with small osteophytes causing impingement on theca and encroachment of neural foramena. - No abnormal signal is seen in theca or spinal cord. -Pre and paravertebral soft tissues are normal. Impression: * Wedge compression fracture of L1 vertebral body with marrow oedema and mild indentation on theca. *Mild Lumbar spondylosis this is the report from MRI scan my question is "we got treatment from orthopedic doctor" , but he said for this only BED REST is better , and he gave the fallowing tablets 1) omega-3 , omega-6, omega-9 2)acetaminophena& tramadol hydro chloride 3) calicium citrate malate,calcitrol zinc sulphate but my father faced indigetion problem seviourly, but now it is ok... what my father has to do now on wards for better treatment i.e which type of food, tablets and any surjery is needed, please give answer sir my father is not a daibatic patient, but when he standing and doing some work he is getting shivering , low B.P some times this injury is happend 17-10-2013
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Treatment is Conservative (Non surgical) only. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX The management of a STABLE compression wedge fracture of L1 body is always conservative (non surgical) only. The word STABLE implies that there is no neurological deficit in the legs in the form of weakness, tingling & numbness or pain in the legs starting from lower back and going into the feet. I suggest you to follow the same treatment given by your orthopedic doctor as it is the standard regime. One suggestion from my side is to use a LUMBO SACRAL CORSET or SUPPORT which prevents the bending of the spine during movements and provides stability. It may take around 8-10 weeks for a complete recovery. List of foods that are XXXXXXX in calcium include - - All dairy products -whole milk, soy milk, yoghurt - vegetables - Red kidney beans,Chick peas,Almonds - fish - fruits - raw Apricots,Orange - Omelette, Pizza, cheese & tomato etc Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 13 hours later
Indigestion with piles problem also there • Testimonials are bulging with this problem So, give me any suggestion Is there any problem with injury of Lumbar spondylosis and indigetion if there give sugetion * my father is telling that with out moving how i will do all ( eating, urine, motion......etc)
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer: He need's a General surgeon consultation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. Your father needs a General surgeon's consultation for the above mentioned problems, as I am not the right person (being an orthopedic surgeon) to give suggestions on Gastrointestinal & Genitourinary symptoms. Practically, there is no relationship between his injury and indigestion problem. As I have told you in my previous answer, your father can move around using the LUMBOSACRAL SUPPORT and perform his activities of daily living on his own. There is no need to confine himself to bed. So, I suggest you to approach a General surgeon for the complaints and seek his advice. Hope I have justified your query. Good day
Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
but , when he want to move and doing urine and somthing else, he is telling that " i am getting pain" , but you are telling it is not that much serious injury, why he is getting pain when he walks ( remember sir he used back pain belt it is suggested by general physisian)
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, there will be certain amount of pain in the back during the acute phase (upto 3 weeks minimum) as there will be inflammation and tissue injury inside. Over a period of time, this pain will lessen with the use of analgesic medicines and proceeds to complete recovery. I told you that the injury is not a serious one but I never told you that it will not produce any pain (hope you got my point), and infact any injury will produce pain depending upon its severity. Also, elderly people (like your father) will be more sensitive to pain. So Ultimately, everything will settle down with time. Good day