MRI showed mild focal surface irregularity of the lateral compartment. Anything serious?

Posted on Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had an MRI done a month ago and I would like to know what these two items mean "Medial collateral ligament: Mild thickening of the proximal intact" and "mild focal surface irregularity of the lateral compartment. Another doctor told me that mild thickening is from a prior MCL injury which I was unaware of. Additionally, could scarred tissue cause my knee to buckle, catching, locking, stiffness, and pain on the outer part of my knee?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Medial collateral ligament is ligament on inner side of knee which connects femur with tibia bone. In your MRI report it shows mild thickening at femoral attachment. Lateral comparment comprise of lateral condyle of femur, lateral condyle of tibia and lateral collateral ligament.In your MRI report some degenerative changes seen over lateral compartment.

As you have prior injury to knee, this mild thickeneng could be due to prior MCL injury. Knee buckling, catching, locking, stiffness, and pain on the outer part of your knee could be due to degenerative arthritic changes or meniscal tear.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
What would be the treatment for a prior MCL tear that is scarring that is causing chronic knee pain for the past 2 years with locking, catching, buckling, and sharp pain when all other traditional treatments have failed
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hi, When all other traditional treatments have failed for chronic MCL tear which get scarred, surgical treatment focusing mainly on reconstruction of the superficial MCL with quadriceps tendon or hamstring autograft could be done.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement