MRI showed mild focal surface irregularity of the lateral compartment. Anything serious?

Posted on Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had an MRI done a month ago and I would like to know what these two items mean "Medial collateral ligament: Mild thickening of the proximal intact" and "mild focal surface irregularity of the lateral compartment. Another doctor told me that mild thickening is from a prior MCL injury which I was unaware of. Additionally, could scarred tissue cause my knee to buckle, catching, locking, stiffness, and pain on the outer part of my knee?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

Medial collateral ligament is ligament on inner side of knee which connects femur with tibia bone. In your MRI report it shows mild thickening at femoral attachment. Lateral comparment comprise of lateral condyle of femur, lateral condyle of tibia and lateral collateral ligament.In your MRI report some degenerative changes seen over lateral compartment.

As you have prior injury to knee, this mild thickeneng could be due to prior MCL injury. Knee buckling, catching, locking, stiffness, and pain on the outer part of your knee could be due to degenerative arthritic changes or meniscal tear.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
What would be the treatment for a prior MCL tear that is scarring that is causing chronic knee pain for the past 2 years with locking, catching, buckling, and sharp pain when all other traditional treatments have failed
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hi, When all other traditional treatments have failed for chronic MCL tear which get scarred, surgical treatment focusing mainly on reconstruction of the superficial MCL with quadriceps tendon or hamstring autograft could be done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Answered by
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 5930 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Knee pain

doctor1 MD

I m Fourteen years old and I ve been having severe knee pains since I was about 10. My knees will go out at the worst times(Climbing Stairs,...

doctor1 MD

I am 31 yr old, and had been a regular football player in past, though from last 8-9yr i had not played that football, sometimes when go for a...

doctor1 MD

I am a 63 year old male and I had a revised TKR in 2009 which has never been pain free . I March 2011 I had a CABG where they removed a vein from...

doctor1 MD

extensive complex tear of the medial meniscus involving the posterior horn and body with partial extrusion of the body.small peripheral horizontal...

doctor1 MD

My Mother is 67 years old. For past few months, she has been suffering from black patches and itching in her lower right leg. She consulted an...

doctor1 MD

I am a 72 yr old female. For the past week, I have been suffering on and off with upper posterior thigh muscle spasms, together with a knife-like...

doctor1 MD

I am having knee pain in my right knee (See attachment). the pain is dull and only slightly nagging when, but is more painful during cold weather....

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

199 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction