MRI showed fusion of C4-5 with mild asymmetrical disk osteophyte complex at C3-4. Required treatment?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HI I,A A 41 YEARS OLD ON 2009 HAVE A CAR ACCIDENT AND AFTER THAT HAVE PAINT ON NECK AND SHOULDERS HAVE ON XXXXXXX 2010 A ACDF C4-5 HAVE A LOT OR PHISICAL THERAPY AND MEDICATION INJECTIONS ON NECK AND SHOULDER AFTER MY SURGERY TODAY I STILL PAINFULL I DONT SLEEP WEEL AND The pain radiate, or spread, into the shoulder blade or down the arm. I HAVE MY MRI ON THE 12/28/12 HERE ARE THE RESULTS WHATS THAT MEEN AND WHAT CAN I DO IS TO MANY YEARS WHIT PAIN AND I LOOSE MOBILITI ON MY RIGTH ARM
Indication- 41 yo male; history of previous cervical fusion,
cervicalgia

Technique- Sagittal T1 weighted and T2 weighted images and axial T2
weighted images study the cervical spine.

Comparison- None

Findings-

The patient status post anterior plate and screw fusion of C4-5.
Result metallic artifact limits evaluation of these levels. The
visualized vertebral body height and signal characteristics are
preserved. There is a gentle disk osteophyte complex at C3-4 with
uncovertebral osteophytes and mild foraminal narrowing slightly more
prominent on the right side. The contour of the spinal cord is
unaffected. No abnormal signal intensities are seen within the cord.
The neural foramina appear patent. No mass lesion or hemorrhage is
identified.

IMPRESSION-

Previous fusion of C4-5 with mild asymmetrical disk osteophyte complex
at C3-4 more prominent on the right side..

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 9 hours later
Dear Friend
After reading your complaints i feel that you are having radicular pain in arm however from your description jit is difficult to point out the level of dis c cauing the problems . However an NCV nerve conduction velosity test can help you to pinpoint the problems. As regards to MRI it is howing XXXXXXX ostephyte at C34 level that can cause irritation of exiting nerve root at that level. Now as regards to treat ment it depends on results of NCV if it corresponds to MRI findings you can be helped by foraminotomy at that level if not then medical therapy in form of PREGABALINS or AT times steroids can also help.

Dr. Vineet Saggar (MCh)
Neuro Surgeon / Spinalsurgeon
http://neurosurgeonhead.blogspot.in/
WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 4 hours later
Thanks dr for your rapid response do you think i have to otp up for a suryery or i can continue whit teraphy its normal having heatches on the posterior part of my neck thanks and how bad the mri loock do you see the pictures i atach thanks
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 17 hours later
Dear,

Thanks again for writing back.

I was able to view the MRI. Your MRI is not bad and surgery is only advised if results of MRI AND NCV correspond.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

DR XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad