MRI showed cloudy section in prostate after diagnosed with cancer. What does it mean?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My brother got an MRI for his prostate after a cancer diagnosis to see if he is a candidate for watch and wait. The Physician Assistant said it was mostly good but a section is cloudy. What could that mean?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Dear,

MRI can indicate whether the prostate cancer is aggressive or indolent. Functional multi-modality MR imaging includes high resolution MR imaging, dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI , MR-spectroscopy, and diffusion weighted MR imaging (DWI-MRI). With functional multi-modality MR imaging, it is possible to detect and exactly localize the tumour in the prostate with more than 90% accuracy. DWI-MRI allows visualization of the amount of free-moving water molecules in tissue; in a tumour, this movement is diminished.

Probably the assistant was talking about the movement of water molecules and referring the section to be cloudy. We cannot interpret clinically on the basis of this comment. Cloudy in that case shall mean more of normal movement and less aggressive tumour.

Therefore discuss further with your treating doctor about the final reports and if needed plan for functional multi-modality MR imaging if needed.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad