Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

MRI showed bilateral maxillary antral polypoidal thickening. What is this and do I need to do anything?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
I have an MRI head scan back. No leison detected and the neurologist does not want to see me. However an additional note refers to 'bilateral maxillary antra polypoidal thickening'. What is this and do I need to do anything?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Bilateral maxillary antral polypoidal thickening is a common incidental finding which means that there is a thickening of the mucosa (internal lining) of the maxillary sinuses (between the eyes and teeth) on both sides.

2. Polypoidal thickening signifies inflammation due to chronic infection or allergy.

3. Mild polypoid thickening or mucus retention cysts require no treatment if there are no symptoms.

4. Mucosal thickening in the floor of the maxillary sinuses may be dental in origin as the roots of the upper teeth are in close contact with the floor of the maxillary sinuses.

5. MRI Scans cannot display bone which appears as a black shadow. Sinus CT Scans are the gold standard for sinuses since bone is visible on CT Scans.

6. In normal sinuses, the inner mucosal lining is so thin that it is not usually seen on the Sinus CT.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor