MRI showed Mild degenerative disc disease and Focal sclerotic lesion in the vertebral body. Meaning?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Question: I just had these test preformed but can't an appointment at the VA until 02/11/13 is this bad enough to push for an earlier date? It doesn't sound too good to me.
the results of MRI of LS spine:

Impression:
1. Mild degenerative disc disease and facet arthrosis in the
lower lumbar spine superimposed on congenitally small central
canal, most pronounced at L4-L5, mild bilateral neural foraminal
narrowing and central canal compromise.

2. Focal sclerotic lesion in the vertebral body at L4 which was
present on prior lumbar radiograph, 9/26/2012. This may represent
a bone island in the absence of a known primary malignancy. If
there is a history of primary malignancy, metastatic disease may
also be a consideration.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 4 hours later
Dear,

Yes, the findings reported on the MRI scan seems concerning.

You have not reported your current symptoms and whether or not you have had primary malignant tumour. However if there was presence of pain and numbness in lower limbs with history of previous back pain and primary malignancy , the MRI findings are significant and you may have secondary in spine.

Yes, the condition necessitates an early appointment. You will need further evaluation in the absence of significant medical history.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Good luck!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad