Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

MRI scan showed prolapse discs L4/L5. Having lower back pain. Need some advice

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
I have prolapse discs L4/L5 & L5. This was discovered after an MRI scan in may last yr (2011). I had lower back pain but nothing severe for months before but in the XXXXXX this then turned to severe sciatica in from my backside to me lower calf in both legs!!this went on until September & gradually eased up!! I have had treatment through a consultant, facet joint injection & waiting for date for epidural injection & the pain is manageable now & am slowly reducing my pain relief ! however in the last couple of wks I've experienced pain in my upper back to the right of spine & down my side & it feels like I'm winded! Turning is very painful!! I had it for about a wk then it went away for a few days & has started up again! I haven't been to dr's as feel like I'm constantly there complaining about aches & pains! Can you help or give me some advise? Laura
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
Dear Laurarooney-marsh
I am sorry to hear your back problem.
Obviously this is due to Prolapse intervertibral disc and sciatica. I think you should have a word with your doctor for the pain management and refering to the pain clinic.Epidural injection will definitely help you but unfotunately it is the waiting for the appointment. You can use TENs machine for the upper back pain.
I wish your speedy recovery.
Kindest regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor