Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

MRI scan for urethral cyst came negative. On antibiotics. Have infected skenes gland. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
i had a MRI scan for a urethral cyst which came up negative, i am on antibiotics and have been for some time the problem is i have a infected skenes gland and it not being picked up by the urologist will a camera up the urethra pick it up if i am on antibiotics and is sort of calm
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 25 days later
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Urethral cysts are uncommon conditions, the usual symptoms will be blood while urination or painful urination. Urethral cysts can be easily diagnosed by a CYSTOSCOPY examination, a procedure that allows a urologist to readily view the polyp/ cyst.
Paraurethral cyst: Also known as Skene's glands, paraurethral glands are located in the vaginal wall at the opening into the urethra in females. A paraurethral cyst appears as a glistening, tense and bulging yellowish-white mass reducing the size of the urethral opening. Common symptoms include a misdirected urinary stream, urinary blockage and painful urination.
Treatment for urethral polyps consists of removing the polyp using cystourethroscopy, a minimally-invasive technique that allows the urologist to peer into the urethra with a small, flexible camera and with additional miniaturized instruments, remove the growth.
In the case of paraurethral cysts, no treatment is necessary if there are no symptoms since they usually spontaneously rupture and decompress. If, however, a blockage, infection or pain develops, the urologist may pierce the cyst with a scalpel blade to drain it and relieve the symptoms.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor