Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

MRI scan done on knee for severe pain. Will it be cured by medication, physiotherapy or surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Deepak Goyal

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 20 Questions

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear Sir,
I am writing on behalf of my family member would is having a knee related issue since few days. Attached is the MRI scan of her left knee which is giving a lot of pain after she accidentally tripped & fell while playing. She had the knee problem during her childhood days and she is believes that same injury which was dormant so far has aggravated because of this recent fall. Please check the MRI result and suggest if this could be cured with medication and physiotherapy or surgery is needed?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 21 hours later
Dear Sir

Thanks for writing in.
As I understand, patient is a 26 years old female and has got GIII medial meniscus tear.
G I-II meniscus tear can heal non-operatively but not G III. Conservative treatment may give short to mid term relief but torn meniscus continue to erode the cartilage of the joint and leads to major problems later on.

Hence, if it is a G III tear, it should be operated by an experienced Arthroscopist.

Be careful in choosing your surgeon, he should be an Arthroscopist only.

I wish best of health to the patient.

Warm regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy & Knee Surgery

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Knee surgery

doctor1 MD

I have been really dissatisfied with my rheumatologist. And I ve been only seeing my primary care physician for it. I recently got spinal x rays done and the primary care physician said she didn t see anything abnormal about it. I m concerned about my spine though. And I ve been diagnosed with o.c.d. In my knee. Have had 5 knee surgeries. And then got diagnosed with r.a. I was put on hydroxychloriquine and Prednisone and they have not helped. No other doctors are helping me. I am exhausted and tired of searching for answers. I just want to be out of pain. I m only 21, I thought I was going to live a normal life and live out my dream as a wild life conservationist. Now that dream seems unreachable. I just want any answers any information. I m tired of waiting. I ve spent half my life in and out of surgeries and I m about ready to throw my hands up and give in. Please help

doctor1 MD

I just had knee surgery to repair my meniscus (nov. 21st) . On Monday my calf swelled up, about 90% of that swelling has gone down but now my ankle is very swollen. I an not feeling any pain from the swelling but just below the area of my ankle...

doctor1 MD

Have a fatty leg tumor which my knee surgeon said that he could address when he replaces the knee. I have had the tumor a long time-probably 20 yrs,but lately it appears larger. Should I see someone else before the knee surgery or let him tend to...

doctor1 MD

I experience gas upon rising. It is okay as long as i way down. Once i get up and start moving around i start belching and feel pressure in my throat. It gets worse after eating to the point that it causes skipped beats. As bad as the gas or pressure is i get relief as soon as i lay down. Had stents put in in June of this year. Everything is functioning properly and most everything is completely clean except for the one artery which was plugged. No reason for the plug. Good cholesterol. No history or heart disease. Had pulmonary embolism in 1996. Knee surgery. What could be wrong per the gas and belching and the skipped beats?

doctor1 MD

My husband had knee surgery in Jan chest xray was clear, he had another a week ago and the surgeon said there was a "spot" on his lower left lung and he is going for a ct scan tomorrow, he has been having headaches mri on head was clear, he also has type to diabetes and diabetic neoropthy, he is a smoker, has not been sick at all, what could be causes of the spot

doctor1 MD

What should someone do if they suspect they could have ehlers danlos? For as long as I can remember i have had joint and muscle pain . They told me it was growing pains. Everyone thought I played sports because I was tall and thin, but I was never...

doctor1 MD

I recently had knee surgery, I just fell down about 8 stairs after my knee dislocated. I landed hard on my back/ bum. I now have a very bad headache and can barely move my leg. It is possible I may have a concussion? Should I go to the er or can it wait until tomorrow to see a clinic dr?