MRI scan done on knee for severe pain. Will it be cured by medication, physiotherapy or surgery?

Dr. Deepak Goyal

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear Sir,
I am writing on behalf of my family member would is having a knee related issue since few days. Attached is the MRI scan of her left knee which is giving a lot of pain after she accidentally tripped & fell while playing. She had the knee problem during her childhood days and she is believes that same injury which was dormant so far has aggravated because of this recent fall. Please check the MRI result and suggest if this could be cured with medication and physiotherapy or surgery is needed?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 21 hours later
Dear Sir

Thanks for writing in.
As I understand, patient is a 26 years old female and has got GIII medial meniscus tear.
G I-II meniscus tear can heal non-operatively but not G III. Conservative treatment may give short to mid term relief but torn meniscus continue to erode the cartilage of the joint and leads to major problems later on.

Hence, if it is a G III tear, it should be operated by an experienced Arthroscopist.

Be careful in choosing your surgeon, he should be an Arthroscopist only.

I wish best of health to the patient.

Warm regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Cartilage, Arthroscopy & Knee Surgery

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli