MRI repots says multiple synechia within the capsules of hips, bilateral hip effusions. Meaning? Fibromyalgia?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have an new MRI report saying I have multiple synechia within the capsules of my hips suggesting chronic inflamation. What does this mean??

Also bilateral hip effusions. I cannot stand for more than 5 mins in my kitchen due to groin and sacral pain. Could this be contributing? Should I have the hip effusion looked into more? My family Dr., would not get it tested for infection 4 yrs ago when hip effusion was first found. I am a 52 year old female, 5 abdominal surgeries for endometriosis (1982-1996), and protruding disc L3-L4 (2011) which I've had 4 epidural injections, but no change in the amt. of time I can stand. Also, neurosurgeon says L3/L4 disc protrusion "isn't causing my problem" .

I think I have scar tissue due to so many operations which is causing pain throughout my sacrum area and also all around my tailbone. I have had 2 instances of waking up in middle of the night with my rectum in total spasm (very painful). Generally my whole tailbone area is in pain, whether I am sitting or laying down. Sometimes use ice on it.

New MRI report states "minimal bladder dome scarring", which I think is due to a wall of endometriosis they peeled off the bladder when removing uterus (both were stuck together) in 1996 Hysterectomy.

Also, in 1996, I had a large mass on bottom R pelvic floor, where all the nerves come up from my leg into abdomen, and they had peeled down the interior wall of the peritoneal cavity...new MRI shows "normal pelvic floor scarring" whatever that is.

The only thing not MRI'd on me in the last 4 years is the middle of my back.

My biggest problem is if I try to walk heel-to-toe, I immediately fall over to one side or the other. I have no muscles working in the mid-section of my body, even though, for months I have been doing 1 hr. of PT exercises per day, 5-6 days per wk. I am ready to throw up my hands...my neurologist said "Why is your case so complicated?" Looks like I need to find a new Dr. What do you think??? What would you do??

I am on a 1000 calorie a day diet, as I am 5'8" and 225 lbs, have lost 10 lbs this past month. I used to be 135-150 before I had so many back issues.

Finally, I'm told I have fibromyalgia. Don't know.

Also, in 1992, had major back incident where I fell to the floor and couldn't move for 12 hrs., and was in excruciating pain for the next yr or more, and had to quit work, and my back has been a mess since then.

When you look at an xray of my back standing up, you can see one of my lower vertebrae rotated about 20 degrees to one side. How is this possible???

It seems that the way one vertebrae locks down on the next under it would make that impossible. I am wondering if I initially dislocated my back in 1992 when all my major back problems started, and I fell to the floor. Nobody has been able to explain all these problems I have, though I have tried very hard to get better and try to lead a normal life, though I feel like I am headed for a wheelchair.

Lastly, I had 6 lesions in a Brain MRI in 2006, but Neurologist did not think I had MS. Said the lesions were just turns in the actual blood vessels in the brain. Would you accept this?
I have been having balance and some vertigo problems for about 10 yrs now, but the vertigo is controlled with a 2 mg dose of diazepam at night.

HELP!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in your both hips and groin is likely to be due to aseptic arthritis of hip which is characterized by fluid accumulation and adhesions in the joint capsule. Local steroid injections are helpful in case pain killers and physiotherapy are not providing the adequate relief.
Pain in the tailbone area could be due to coccydynia or due to scarring from previous endometriosis. Hot sitz bath and sitting on a doughnut cushion will be helpful.

Mild rotation of the lower vertebrae can be due to lateral curvature of the spine and is responsible for lower back pain.
All the MRI findings are not significant unless there are clinical signs and symptoms present. Mild scattered white matter lesions in brain can be due to age related degenerative changes which are more commonly found in diabetics and hypertensives.
Please do not worry. All your problems can be taken care of with the help of a proficient neurologist, orthopedician and a physiotherapist working together.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.