MRI pelvis revealed evidence of uterus didelphys, blood seen in vagina, likely hematocolpos. Why do I have bleeding now?

Posted on Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Question: the study reveals evidence of uterus didelphys. two seprate cervix and vagina are also seen.large collection contaning blood seen in right vagina.it measures approx 31x42x19mm( ap x td x cc)- likely hematocolpos in right vagina-possibly due to incomplete membrance/septum at lower vagina/introitus.
endometrium of both uterus is mildly thickened. it measures 10.5 mm in right uterus and 12 mm in left uterus.
bilateral ovaries are normal with multiple follicles.
urinery bladder and rectum appears normal.
no sizeeable iliac nodes seen.
this is the report of MRI PELVIS
NOW SHE IS HAVING BLEADING FRO 15 TO 20 DAYS EVERY MONTH AND AGAIN PERIODS COME ON TIME. SO WHAT SHOULD WE DO AND WHAT IS REMEDY
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
She is having an excessive bleeding during periods with one of the vagina showing a large collection of blood.
The first thing that needs to be done is to get the blood collection in her vagina drained surgically under the guidance of a proficient gynecologist.
Since there is no uterine mass detected, the excessive bleeding is most likely to be due to a hormonal imbalance.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of proper therapy.
Meanwhile start giving iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from her body.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN