• question-icon

MRI of brain and spine normal. Tested negative for lymes. Having respiratory problem. Worrisome

Posted on Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: **Additional information: My AChR and MuSK values are within normal range. My EMGs showed a drop post exercise. Symptoms presented as generalized first (one year ago) and then added ocular symptoms six months after that. Normal MRI of brain and upper spine. Negative results for Lymes. Mestinon has made me able to function again in my daily life.**

Good morning,

I was hospitalized last week with respiratory problems associated with undiagnosed myasthenia gravis. MG is suspected and I have been on Mestinon for one month and responding well. Heat is thought to have aggravated it. While there my oximeter readings would consistently go down when I walked or exercised. Why is that?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 2 hours later
Hello!
What you are describing are classical symtoms of myasthenia gravis. It is an autoimmune disorder associated with deficiency of an transmitter (Acetyl Choline) at your nerve muscle junction leading to weakness. MG is a clinical diagnosis and it responds to mestinon as in your case. AChR and MuSK values are within normal range indicate that you have seronegative MG.
Fluctuations in day to day and with heat are well known in MG. If you are experiencing worsening consult your neurologist. He/She may add steroids along with immunosuppresant medications for future management.
Also get your Chext X-ray/CT chest to rule out thymoma.
Dont worry you will be fine.

Should you encounter some more issues or wish to know some do's and dont's, feel free to ask else close the thread.

Best wishes,
Dr. Neeraj Baheti
Dr. Neeraj Baheti

Neurologist